Tuesday, February 15, 2011

New Photoshop CS5 Features


Hey there everyone, welcome back!!!  Today we will be talking about the new features in CS5 Photoshop.  I’m sure everyone has had personal experience with older versions of Photoshop.  Here are two features that are new this year and that will make your life a lot easier while working on your personal photos at home.  The two features that I personally like the best is the new Mini Bridge and the Content-Aware option.

The new mini bridge is super awesome.  Yes, it is basically the same thing as the original Adobe Bridge CS5.  In fact I believe you need to own the original version of Bridge to access Mini Bridge in Photoshop or in Indesign.  Mini Bridge provides an instant access to many features that are useful in Adobe Bridge CS5 without having to actually start the program itself.  From my own personal experience, I’ve always preferred tweaking photos in Bridge before bringing them into Photoshop.  Reason why is because Bridge contains an excellent set up for adjusting photos super-fast.  The feature that I used in Mini Bridge is called camera raw 6.0.  This allows you to do a variety of different changes quick, while being able to preview your images.  Mini Bridge also helps the user navigate and organize files in a more productive way.   The following video talks about Mini Bridge and how to navigate through it: 


Content-Aware option is a feature that I just recently discovered.  It’s a cool feature that can remove objects in photo while digitally filling in the background for you.  It’s a major time saver for making major changes to photos, such as removing unwanted objects, lens spots, or garbage.  I wish I had this feature four years ago; I could’ve saved so much time.  It’s depressing to think about, but I'll cry about it later.  On serious note, an important element to remember while working with the content-aware option or any feature in Photoshop is practice.  We’ve all heard the infamous saying, “practice makes perfect.”  Well, there is some truth to that.  I would highly recommend playing around a bit until you feel comfortable.


Today we’ve talked about using the new Mini Bridge which is basically the baby brother of Adobe Bridge CS5.  We’ve also talked about the Content-Aware option briefly, which allows contain to be removed and replaced automatically.

If you have any questions regarding this blog or any other blogs, feel free to leave a comment or contact me at through my site @ scovillephotography.com or at my facebook page

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post a lot. It was very informative. I loved your use of multimedia. It helped me better understand these new features. They also went into the detail needed to explain everything to those who know very little about photography. I had no idea that Photoshop had the Content-Aware feature. This feature will save me a lot of time in Photoshop, without having to try to clone and blend everything.

    Your use of sources was very informational as well. This is great for people who know nothing about these programs. They helped explain everything without going into too technical of terms.

    You have definitely improved on your writing. You have added more personal experiences in your posts. I would definitely make sure to proofread the posts, though, before posting them. There were a few spots where you repeated yourself and a few sentences that could have been reworded. Also try describing these programs more before posting the video. I feel like you introduced them and then threw us into a video right away. I would have liked to have seen more explanation first.

    ReplyDelete