Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fun Editing Software

Welcome back everyone; today we will be talking about two editing software programs used to edit digital images. The two main editing software programs are Photoshop, and Illustrator.  In previous blogs I’ve mentioned some of these programs, but never explained what they are and how they are different.

Adobe Illustrator CS5 screen shot
Image from googleimages

According to an eHow article “Uses of Adobe Photoshop,” Photoshop provides the user the capability to edit images, touch up photos, move pictures, and create 3D Graphics.  These are all important features in that all are used frequently in the photography or graphic design industry.  Illustrator is great editing software. 

Adobe Photoshop CS5 screen shot
Image from googleimages

Illustrator is a fun interactive editing software.  For those of you who have used “Paint” that comes with most computers under the application file folder, imagine that software on steroids, and that’s Illustrator. Illustrator is used most often by graphic designers.  A lot of digital artists use this software as a substitute to the older means of art such as sketching and painting.  Personally I don’t have a lot of experience with Illustrator because I tend to use Photoshop for most my needs.  I have used it on occasion; I didn’t seem to have any problems.  There’re alot of technical differences as well.  According to an eHow article “How to Understand the Difference Between Illustrator and Photoshop,” Illustrator creates vector graphics and text while Photoshop creates bitmapped graphics. 
“Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitive such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based on mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics” While a bitmap “is a type of memory organization or image file format used to store digital images (wikipedia)."
Adobe is the company that makes both Illustrator and Photoshop along with many other software programs.  One amazing element about using any Adobe software is that they’re structured the same way.  Having the design features similar make it easier for the user to learn new software more efficiently.

3 comments:

  1. Good work with the post this week. I especially appreciated the part where you talked about “vector graphics and text” and “bitmapped graphics.” As I read those words, I thought to myself, “Uh oh, I have no idea what those mean and he never explained them!” But as I read on, I was pleased to find that you added a block quote that perfectly explained what these two terms mean. Good job…and thanks! (But I was a bit confused as to exactly where you got the info…was it from the eHow article you mentioned in the previous sentence? I clicked on the link but couldn’t find that info…)

    As far as grammar is concerned, the second sentence of your third paragraph isn’t a complete sentence and could be combined with the third sentence. (“For those of you…that’s Illustrator.”) Also, in your second paragraph, a word needs to be added to this sentence: “These are all important features in that [ALL?] are used frequently in the photography or graphic design industry.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am reading this, I am wondering if you knew anything about taking sports photography because I'm a sports nut. I am also thinking which one of these programs you would use to help clean up those type of photos.

    There is not much more I can say about grammar that Matthew hasn't already talked about. I do like how you bring me into the topic, telling me about how you are going to talk about the differences between these two programs.

    ReplyDelete